Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Who am I living for?
 
                   Just downloaded the song "Who Am I Living For", written and performed by Katy Perry. At first, the song didn't catch my attention. But when I tried to learn the lyrics and understand the meaning, it helped me understand a hidden side of the writer. 

                   Katy wrote about her query regarding her true purpose. I learned that she used to write and sing Christian songs before. She even had an album widely dedicated to God. However she wasn't that famous. Her stage name was Katy Hudson. But as what we expect in a Christian composer, she didn't stayed too long in the limelight or she hardly did. 

                    After she had written pop songs like the smash hit "I kissed A Girl, she had landslide victory against the other singers in the Billboard 100. This achievement made her more inspired to keep writing pop songs. In short she had written songs that attracted more and more fans around the globe. These songs were too far from her original songs. They are all about earthly things like money, fame and even sex. 

                    The song highlights the waking question "Who Am I Living For?" When she wrote the song, it's like she's been slapped by the truth that she is moving too far from what God had appointed her to do and that's working for faith. My favorite line from the song is "I can see the heavens but I still hear the flames calling out my name."  This is one of the key ideas of the song. If you think of it, it is obvious that Katy is finally seeing the right path but still being tempted by the shiny flames around her.  

                     I asked myself, who am I really living for?



No comments:

Post a Comment